Charitable Gambling

Comments

3 comments

  • Avatar
    IMPLAN Support
    Hi Monica, It sounds like the 170,000 goes towards operations of the curling club, is that correct? If not is this pure profit, or how is it used in the economy? For the 80% that goes to prizes, we would not recommend including them as part of the Event Value for the organization’s operations. You should consider modeling them as retail expenditures (sectors 396-407) (if you are using the 2013 data 320-331 if you are in earlier data years), instead, and entering the value as gross retail sales (i.e., the default option when using a Retail sector). If you do not know for sure that all of the prizes were purchases from local retailers, set LPP = SAM Model Value via Event Options > Edit Event Properties > Local Purchase Percentage. If you have more detail about what the prizes are and where they are purchased, however, you can use that information to further refine the analysis. One general caution about a study like this: households will pay to gamble and to win prizes, and that money might have been spent in the study area on something other than the event in question, possibly also on retail. For example, if you assume that a household will either spend $100 in the study area on retail purchases, or spend $100 to gamble, with 20% going to an organization and 80% on retail (again, both in the study area), 80% of the retail purchases for prizes are directly displacing household spending. The remaining 20% could still be displacing household spending, too, but it is more likely to be a different type of spending (in this example, households would spend $20 on retail purchases, and the organization would spend $20 on its normal spending pattern). If the households would have spent their money outside of the study area, however, displacement would be much less of a concern. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    mrhaynes
    All but a small portion of the prizes are in the form of cash payments, so I will not include them in the analysis. There is a small amount of prizes that comes in the form of meat raffles, featuring locally purchased meat. So I will put that amount in as retail - food and beverage, and make the local purchase percentage equal to 100%. I have made a note of the issues related to local versus out-of-town spending and I will be sure to mention it in the report. THanks for your help.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    IMPLAN Support
    Hi Monica, If you know for certain that it is meat you could try to tie it back to a producer. That is if you have enough information to choose a producing sector and then to margin that sector. Thanks!
    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.