IMPLAN’s expanded demographic data comes from the United States Census Bureau as described in the next section. They consist of estimates for the splits on population data related to factors such as age, sex, race, ethnicity, language spoken at home, and educational attainment. They also include estimates on Housing Occupancy and Vacancy, and Labor Force Participation Rates and Unemployment Rates by Age and Race.
IMPLAN’s expanded demographic data can be accessed in two places throughout the IMPLAN Cloud: Region Details and Data Library. Note that currently this expanded demographic data is only for the 2020-2021 IMPLAN Data Years.
HOW TO ACCESS THE DEMOGRAPHIC DATA
First, you will need to access your IMPLAN account. From the project tile, click New Project in the top right of the screen.
A popup window will appear to create a new project. The Industry Set should be set to the 546 Industries. This Industry Set is specifically for the U.S. and U.S. Territories data. After the correct Industry Set is selected, name the project, then click Create Project.
After creating the Project, the Regions screen will appear in the Map View of the U.S. Select a Region by clicking on the map, using the Search Bar, or from the List View.
There are two areas where Regional Demographic Data can be accessed in IMPLAN: Regions Details and Data Library.
Users can access the expanded demographic data for a Region by navigating to Region Details, then selecting the Area Demographic dashboard under Study Area Data.
Within the IMPLAN Data Library, users will now have access to two demographics Dashboards: Demographics, and Demographics Compare. The Demographics Dashboard is where the expanded demographic data are available. This Dashboard has a single filter for Region, which will include all states and counties (U.S. Totals are not available within this filter).
CATEGORIES OF DEMOGRAPHIC EXPANSION DATA
The following categories of data with examples represent the totality of our expanded demographics data release. This is in addition to the standard offering for demographic data, which includes, for each region and year, the number of households by 9 income categories, land area, population, and population density.
- Age & Sex counts of total population and percentage of total population.
- Race & Ethnicity counts of total population and percentage of total population.
- Language Spoken at Home for total speaking population and percentage of speaking population. Speaking population is defined as persons aged 5 and older.
- Education Attainment level for population ages 18-24 and the percentage of attainment for total population aged 18-24.
- Education Attainment level for population ages 25 and older and the percentage of attainment for total population aged 25 and older.
- Housing Occupancy and Vacancy Status by percentage of total housing units.
- Labor Force Participation Rate & Unemployment Rate by age. These are percentages of the total labor force population within the age group.
- Labor Force Participation Rate & Unemployment Rate by race. These are percentages of the total labor force population within the race group.
The source of IMPLAN’s first Demographic data expansion is the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey 5 year estimates. Data are available at the National, State, County, and Zip-code level. Source data can be found at data.census.gov. Data is current relative to the IMPLAN data year, beginning with the year 2020.
As of now, none of this data is applied to impact results that come from an IMPLAN model. It is strictly available as a set of study area data that is not to be applied to results. If the analyst does choose to convert raw data into ratios which can be applied to a set of IMPLAN results, they should be aware that this is not endorsed by IMPLAN Group, LLC. It is upon the analyst to understand the IMPLAN data and input-output modeling framework, including its limitations, and to employ best practices when using the IMPLAN system.
Written August 30, 2023