In the Data Library, we have Commodity data going back to 2001. This way users can quickly look at changes by Commodity and Year for a region using the Dashboard or Explore.
The Commodity data are available for all counties and states in the U.S. for all IMPLAN Data Set Years. The data include, for each region, year, and commodity, foreign exports, gross final demand by institution, and institutional production by institution.
This Dashboard includes three tiles:
- Year over Year is a line chart showing the filtered Metric over Data Years for the filter Region(s).
- County View is a map chart of the filtered Metric by Five Digit Fips (this is the county code Looker uses to map the data).
- Commodity Table is a table chart of the filtered Metric by Industry for the filtered Region(s).
When viewing a Dashboard, use the filters to change the data points displayed. Filter options include:
- Aggregation: Aggregation level of Commodities by default is the unaggregated 546 scheme
- Dollar Type: by default dollars are displayed in Real dollars, see Dollar Year
- Data Year: most recent Data Year by default in County View and Commodity Table tiles. All available Data Years are displayed in the Year over Year tile (filter does not apply to this tile).
- Dollar Year: by default dollars are shown in current-year dollars
- State: by default North Carolina. When states are selected in the State filter, only counties within the filtered states will appear in the county filter or in the data query when selected.
- County: no county filter is set by default
- Commodity: no commodity filter is set by default. Options include commodities at the aggregation level specified in the aggregation filter.
- Metric: by default Gross Final Demand. Options include all Measures in this Data Library Section.
The Dashboard actions in the upper right provides more options such as downloading the Dashboard to a PDF. On each tile, click the Tile actions (a series of three vertical dots that appears in the upper right of a tile when hovering over it with a cursor) for the option to download the data within that tile. Select Explore from here within the Tile actions to access more data query options. Exploring from the Dashboard allows users to dig into the data starting from the settings within the Dashboard tile.
Explore the Commodity Data by selecting Commodity Data from the Explore dropdown menu, or by selecting Explore from here from the Trade Flow Data Dashboard Tile or Look.
By default in Explore, the Dollar Type is Real, the Dollar Year is the current year, and the Data Year is the most recent Data Year. With this setting, all dollar values included in a data query will be adjusted for inflation and displayed in current year dollars. It is recommended to always either filter or pivot on Data Year. Otherwise, data measures will be summed over Data Years. The default Aggregation Scheme Param is 546 Unaggregated. Commodity Dimensions will be available in the 546 Industry scheme with this setting.
AGGREGATION SCHEME PARAM
The aggregation filter provides the option to view Commodity Data at one of the following levels of granularity:
- 546 Unaggregated: most granular. Data is available for each IMPLAN Commodity according to the most recent 546 Industry Scheme.
- IMPLAN 2 Digit NAICS 546: Data is aggregated for Commodities corresponding to each 2 Digit NAICS.
- IMPLAN 3 Digit NAICS 546: Data is aggregated for Commodities corresponding to each 3 Digit NAICS.
Download the 2022 aggregated NAICS to IMPLAN 546 Industries bridge for details.
When Dollar Type is Real, Nominal dollar values are adjusted for inflation/deflation such that each dollar value Measures will be displayed in the selected Dollar Year(s). Dollar Year only applies when Dollar Type is Real.
When Dollar Type is Nominal, dollar value Measures will be unadjusted, therefore they will be displayed in the same Dollar Year as the Data Year.
The Field Picker allows users to select any one of the Measures from the filter dropdown menu. The Measure titled “Metric” to do so is tied to the Field Picker. Select, filter, and/or pivot on this measure in order to include in data query.
Select a Dimension to include as a column with all Dimension possibilities.
Click Filter on a Dimension to specify which Dimension possibilities appear in the data query.
Click Pivot on a Dimension to transpose the Dimension rows into columns.
|Commodity||All IMPLAN Commodities (Code and Description) are possible Dimensions.|
|Commodity Code||All IMPLAN Commodity Codes (numbers) are possible Dimensions.|
|Commodity Description||All IMPLAN Commodity Descriptions (names) are possible Dimensions.|
All U.S. counties are possible Dimensions.
When states are selected in the State filter, only counties within the filtered states will appear in the county filter or in the data query when selected.
A County Fips is a three digit county code designated to counties within a given state.
All U.S. County Fips are possible Dimensions. Note, County Fips are not state specific, therefore it is recommended to include and/or filter on the State Dimension in addition to this Dimension. U.S. County Fips. A list of FIPS codes can be found at the following link:
|Data Year||All IMPLAN Data Years are possible Dimensions.|
|Dollar Year||Years 1997 through 2060 are possible Dimensions. Dollar Year only applies when Dollar Type is Real.|
|Five Digit Fips||
A Five Digit Fips is a county code. The first two digits indicate the state and the following three digits indicate the county. All U.S. Five Digit Fips codes are possible Dimensions.
This Dimension is used to map the data in the County View Map Chart found on the Dashboard. A list of FIPS codes can be found at the following link:
|Institution Code||All IMPLAN Institution Codes (numbers) are possible Dimensions.|
|Institution Description||All IMPLAN Institution Descriptions (names) are possible Dimensions.|
All 50 States plus the District of Columbia are possible Dimensions.
Pivoting or selecting Region will display filtered states when filtering on state and will display filtered counties when filtering on county.
|State||All 50 States plus the District of Columbia are possible Dimensions.|
A State Fips is a two digit state code. State Fips for all 50 States plus the District of Columbia are possible Dimensions. A list of FIPS codes can be found at the following link:
Measures are displayed based on Dimension settings. Select a Measure to include as a column in the data query.
|Foreign Exports||Commodity Output exported to foreign (non U.S.) markets.|
|Gross Final Demand||Commodity Output demanded by Institutions (excludes values for Foreign Trade Institution).|
|Institutional Production||Commodity Output produced by Institutions (excludes values for Foreign Trade Institution).|
|Metric||Metric is recommended to be selected in conjunction with a Field Picker filter (a Filter-Only Field). This is a helpful Dashboard option.|
Written August 30, 2023